of 50,000 signatures
To Rishi Sunak PM and Chancellor Jeremy Hunt
We're not the only ones. Millions of families across the UK are facing similar challenges. Meanwhile, oil and gas companies continue to make huge profits.By implementing a stronger windfall tax, the UK government can ensure these companies contribute their fair share to resolving the energy crisis, supporting households like mine, and transitioning towards a more sustainable and equitable energy market. This is not just about economic fairness; it is about restoring hope and dignity to families who are struggling to make ends meet in the face of an unfair system.
We are deeply concerned by the news of BP's "heinous" profits, amounting to $5bn billion in the first quarter of 2023, while the majority of Britons struggle to pay exorbitant energy bills. The current windfall tax on UK oil and gas companies is insufficient to address the economic disparities resulting from the ongoing energy crisis. While these companies continue to make massive profits, millions of people across the country are unable to afford basic necessities such as heating their homes.
We call on the UK government to:
1. Implement a stronger windfall tax on UK oil and gas companies to ensure they contribute their fair share to addressing the energy crisis.
2. Use the additional revenue generated from the windfall tax to fund a freeze on council tax for cash-strapped households.
3. Expand the windfall tax to capture profits made from refining oil and selling fuel, and scrap tax breaks on fossil fuel extraction.
4. Invest in renewable energy generation and insulate homes to create a more sustainable and equitable energy market.
5. Implement a social tariff and explore the option of public ownership of new clean power to better serve the public and lower household bills.
It is time for the UK government to take bold action by imposing a stronger windfall tax on oil and gas companies and using the revenue to support those who are struggling. We urge you to consider our demands and take immediate action to address the energy crisis and create a fairer and more sustainable energy market for all.
Will you chip in?
Can you chip in £5 to get this petition on the agenda? Getting support in a timely manner is critical to a petition’s success. Chipping in allows us to promote the petition on Organise and through email.